Thursday, December 11, 2008

Teenage Girls: All Stressed Out!

Apple iTunes



Teen Girls & Stress

During adolescence, your body is going through many changes that are happening at a fast pace. These changes might make you feel unsure of yourself at times, or stressed. They might make you worry about your size and wanting to fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Does your teen daughter ask questions, worry or show signs of stress in any of these areas of her life?
  • Why am I taller than most of the boys my age?
  • Why haven’t I grown any?
  • Am I too skinny?
  • Am I overweight?
  • Why is my weight going up and down?
  • Am I normal compared to other girls?
  • Are my breasts are too small?
  • Are my breasts are too large?
  • Why am I so emotional?
  • Why am I getting pimples?
  • Do my clothes look right on my body?
  • That new dress style doesn’t fit me – my friends won’t think I’m cool.

Does your teen son ask questions, worry or show signs of stress in any of these areas of his life?
  • Why am I smaller than most girls?
  • Why don’t I grow?
  • Am I too skinny?
  • Am I overweight?
  • Why is my weight going up and down?
  • Am I normal compared to other boys?
  • Where is this anger coming from?
  • Why am I getting pimples?
  • Do my clothes look right on my body?

During puberty, females are normally grow taller and faster than males. Female teens also have wider hips, bottoms, and thighs. Because females produce new hormones (like estrogen), their body weight may change more rapidly. Changes in estrogen levels can also cause mood swings – especially around her period. These physical factors in female teens may cause stress!

During puberty, males begin to grow facial, arm and body hair. Males, who have larger breast tissue, begin to lose this fatty tissue as it is replaced by muscle. Testosterone is the new male hormone that may cause mood swings, isolation and anger in some teen boys. These physical factors in male teens may cause stress .

For more help, go to: Ask a Counselor

Blog Archive & Past Articles